Parma, 9 May 2019 – With the “Dall’Ara” in Bologna set to host the Crociati’s penultimate away game of the season, let’s now learn more about this historic stadium.
The stadium’s construction started in 1925, joining part of a larger sporting complex that still has two swimming pools. Its inauguration dates back to 31 October 1926, with the stadium initially called the Littoriale. The first match to be played there was in May 1927, with Italy beating Spain 2-0. Meanwhile, Bologna’s first home fixture was on 5th June of that same year, securing a 1-0 win over Genoa.
Built with red bricks and arched windows, the Maratona tower was added in 1929 and then linked to the 18th-century San Luca Portico. The stadium subsequently became Bologna’s new home, replacing the Stadio Sterlino that had previously hosted the Rossoblu for 14 years. In 1934, it was chosen as one of the stadiums for the World Cup in Italy. After the war, it was renamed the Stadio Comunale, while in 1934 Renato Dall’Ara took the club’s helm. He remained as the Rossoblu’s President for 30 years, and the stadium has adorned his name since 1983.
The Dall’Ara was refurbished for the 1990 World Cup, yet this wasn’t to be the last. In 2009, the home fans’ Curva was renamed after Giacomo Bulgarelli. Meanwhile, the opposing Curva is dedicated to Arpad Weisz, the Hungarian player and Coach who died during The Holocaust in 1944.