Parma, 23 October 2020 – Of all the Parma vs. Spezia matches played at our Stadio Ennio Tardini, one game, in particular, stands out as unforgettable in Crociati history.

It was played on Sunday 25 March 1979, resulting in a 2-2 draw.

It is worth revisiting this nail-biting draw on the eve of the first fixture between the Parma and the Aquilotti in the top flight, scheduled on Sunday 25 October (kick-off at 15:00 CET) for matchday five of Serie A TIM 2020/21.

Starting off this historic Serie C game, in the 5th minute, Carlo Ancelotti did not do his side any favours by missing a penalty kick awarded by referee Elio Corigliano.

Carletto’s right-footed shot went wide of Spezia goalkeeper Pierluigi Masoni’s right-hand post.

The twenty-year-old enfant prodige, who trained as a boy in Parma’s Youth Sector and transferred to Roma at the end of the season, paid dearly for this costly mistake. The guests immediately took the lead inside 17 minutes with a goal by midfielder David Mugianesi (0-1).

Eight minutes later, Coach Cesare Maldini’s side went down to ten men as Ariedo Braida was sent off.

Despite having one man down, the Crociati equalised (1-1) in the 38th minute.

It was Giovanni Colonnelli who scored, our golden boy of the ‘70s (from 1971 to 1979, 272 total appearances and 20 goals in Parma colours).

After the break, Spezia suddenly found themselves down to nine men, due to red cards for defender Osvaldo Motto and midfielder Maurizio De Fraia.

Despite these two absences, the Ligurian outfit regained the lead in the 69th minute (1-2), with another midfielder, Angelo Seghezza.

A minute later, Corigliano awarded another penalty to Parma, who once more wasted the opportunity. This time it was Pier Paolo Scarrone who didn’t hit the target.

Luckily, the Calabrian referee called for the penalty to be retaken.

Prolific striker Fabio Bonci, who had replaced Giuseppe Giani in the 65th minute, stepped up for the retake.

From eleven metres away, Bonci’s powerful strike exploded into Spezia’s goal, evading Corrado Menconi who had come on for Masoni after the double sending off (2-2).

This thrilling draw represents one of the initial stages of this Parma side’s, with Cesare Maldini at the helm and Ancelotti on the pitch, they went towards their promotion to Serie B, determined by the play-off on Sunday 17 June 1979 in Vicenza against Triestina.

Header: The penalty scored by Bonci in the late 2-2 draw. In the photos: Ancelotti’s missed penalty, referee Corigliano; Ancelotti in action marked by Giampaolo Bonanni; Scarrone misses from eleven metres